AFL rookie Elijah Taylor has been granted bail and is expected to face court in two weeks after being charged over an alleged assault on an 18-year-old woman in Perth.
Taylor, 19, was arrested at a Langford home on Sunday afternoon and questioned for several hours at Cannington Police Station before being driven away with a blanket covering his head.
Police said in a statement on Monday that the Sydney Swans player had been charged with aggravated assault occasioning bodily harm.
Taylor is accused of attacking the woman “who is known to him” at a Perth hotel on Sunday between 6am and 8am.
He is scheduled to face Perth Magistrates Court on September 30.
Taylor’s ex-partner Lekahni Pearce recently made separate allegations about him online, which the club described as “very serious”.
“The Sydney Swans are aware of allegations made on social media,” the club said in a statement at the time.
“The club has notified the AFL and is not in a position to comment further at this time.”
The AFL said it had been in contact with “local law enforcement” over the “extremely serious” allegations.
Taylor also made headlines in August when his then-partner entered the club’s quarantine accommodation in Perth, which was in breach of COVID-19 protocols.
She later told Channel 7 it was “easy” to sneak in.
“No security, I didn’t see a security guard,” she said.
“I just walked through, went to his room. That’s how easy it was. I didn’t jump any fences.”
The Swans were slapped with a $50,000 fine, half of which was suspended, while Taylor was stood down from the club for the rest of the season.
“We’re extremely disappointed to be in this position, as our staff and players are all well aware of both the AFL protocols and the restrictions we are required to adhere to while in quarantine,” chief executive Tom Harley said at the time.
“The club would like to unreservedly apologise to the WA community. Clearly the restrictions we are adhering to are designed to protect the community and any breach is unacceptable.”
Taylor made his debut for Sydney in round seven after he was recruited from the WAFL in last year’s AFL draft.