Here’s what you need to know this morning.
Man charged over rapper shooting
A man has been charged over the shooting of a Sydney rapper, who was shot twice in the arm, in south-west Sydney last month.
On August 8, rapper and former bikie Big Kash was sitting in a Mercedes Benz in a driveway on a Warwick farm when he was shot in the forearm and elbow.
The 32-year-old was taken to Liverpool Hospital for surgery and his passenger, a 22-year-old woman, was uninjured.
After an investigation, NSW Police arrested a 29-year-old man in Blacktown and charged him with shooting with an intent to murder and discharging a firearm intending to cause grievous bodily harm.
Man tries to burn police car
NSW Police have charged a man for allegedly attempting to set fire to a police car outside Ashfield Police station in Sydney’s inner west.
About 8:45pm yesterday, officers arrested a man they alleged poured petrol over a fully marked police vehicle and attempted to set it alight, before throwing objects at a second police vehicle.
Officers used OC spray on the 28-year-old when he became aggressive. An office sustained minor injuries.
The man was charged with attempted property damage with fire, resisting arrest and malicious damage.
St Vincent’s Hospital expansion
Sydney’s St Vincent’s Hospital has been given $25 million for an expansion of critical care under the State Government’s COVID-19 recovery plan.
The funds will pay for six additional ICU beds and 12 more ambulatory care spaces in the clinical building.
It will also help with remediation at the disused Cahill Cater building and with planning for the future redevelopment of the hospital, Adjunct Professor Anthony Schembri, CEO of St Vincent’s Health Network, said.
“This investment will deliver on the promise of precision medicine, implementing innovative ambulatory and virtual healthcare delivery models, and establishing the St Vincent’s Heart Lung Vascular Institute,” Professor Schembri said.
COVID-19 restrictions impact agriculture sector
The NSW Government will push for coronavirus restrictions on agricultural workers to be removed at a meeting with federal and state leaders today
The National Cabinet is convening again today and the State Government said it would be calling for an Agricultural Workers Code to be adopted.
NSW Agriculture Minister Adam Marshall said the harvesting of crops was being jeopardised by the restrictions.
“With the biggest grain harvest that we’ve seen in probably half a century coming up in the next couple of months,” he said.
“Without a national agricultural workers code, we won’t be able … to move across state borders to be able to get the crops off before Christmas.”
Restaurant illustrates economic slide
In the Western Sydney suburb of Villawood, Quang Do’s north Vietnamese restaurant has been doing it tough since the pandemic struck.
His business, Quan Huong, used to draw a crowd, but fewer people travelling to the area to work has meant plummeting profits.
Sarah Hunter, the chief economist at BIS Oxford Economics, said the pandemic meant people were sticking to their local neighbourhoods.
“From a practical perspective, for businesses in this recession, some of them will not survive as the retail trade decreases,” she said.