PRINCE Harry’s plans to host a huge party to celebrate wounded ex-serviceman and women – and raise up to £1m for the Invictus Games has been thwarted because of their mega Netflix deal, it has been claimed.

The couple had planned to host a music and comedy event in California in June 2021 with stars including Beyonce and Ed Sheeran among the big names mooted to attend.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry at a wheelchair tennis match during the Invictus Games 2017

But now, according to The Sunday Times, it has been cancelled.

The cancellation comes just after their Netflix deal was signed.

The Sunday Times said the problem arose because the event was due to be streamed by Amazon – Netflix’s rival.

The paper added officials at the Invictus Foundation were “stunned” when lawyers for Prince Harry and Meghan called them to tell them the news.

Prince’s Harry Invictus Games, scheduled to take place in May, have been postponed

A source told the paper: “It’s very bad form and everyone at Invictus is gutted.

“Harry said yes to doing this last year and everything was still moving forwards until a few weeks ago.

“This was going to be a big moment for Invictus where the pot is pretty empty, and it has left them in the lurch. Harry needs to pull his finger out to find another way to raise funds for them.”

An Invictus spokesman said: “The event was shelved because the primary revenue generator was ticket sales from a live concert in Los Angeles in the spring of 2021.

“Given current circumstances with Covid, the event needed to be reconceptualised.

It’s very bad form and everyone at Invictus is gutted.


Source

“This was an independent decision made prior to a partnership with Netflix. The duke remains committed as ever to the Invictus Games.”

Meanwhile, it has been revealed that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex could rake in up to £75million after signing a mega-bucks deal with the streaming platform. 

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who have never produced a TV show, will make documentaries, films, scripted and kids’ programmes in the new partnership. 

Before signing with Netflix, Harry and Meghan held talks with Disney and Apple, the New York Times reports.

Two executives involved in the discussions claimed representatives for the couple wanted to secure a deal worth around £75m, according to the US paper.

Prince Harry’s Invictus Games has been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic

The historic Netflix deal comes after Harry was filmed last year appearing to lay the groundwork for his wife’s Disney voiceover contract.

He was overheard revealing Meghan Markle’s interest to Disney chief Bob Iger at the London premiere of the Lion King last July.

Last month, it was reported the Sussexes also held talks with NBCUniversal.

PR guru Jonathan Shalit says Harry and Meghan will net between £37m and £75m from the Netflix agreement.

This year’s Invictus Games was postponed because of the pandemic.

The Duke described the decision as “incredibly difficult” but the “most sensible and safest option.”

Prince Harry with Meghan at the Invictus Games Sydney 2018

The 2020 Games were due to be held in the Hague from May 9 to 16.

Organisers said the competition was likely to be rescheduled to May or June 2021.

The postponement is a blow to Prince Harry who set up the games in 2014 after being inspired by the US Warrior Games.

It sees injured servicemen and veterans from 20 nations compete in nine sports including wheelchair basketball, sitting volleyball and indoor rowing.

In a video posted online, Harry said: “This was an incredibly difficult decision for all of us to have to make. This decision was the most sensible and the safest option.

“I know how disappointed you must all be. This is a focus that so many of you need. I would encourage you to maintain that focus as best you can.”

Fabulous has approached both Netflix and Amazon for comments.

Most read in Fabulous

BUMPY & BEAUTIFUL


Why it’s great that celebs post pics of their bumpy post-birth glory

MEAL DEAL


Mum feeds family for £1.50 each a day & shares monthly meal plan so you can too

SNACK ATTACK


Snack craving out of control? Here are the portions you SHOULD be having

GONE POTTY


My 9-month-old is already toilet trained & started using a potty at 2 WEEKS old

TIME OUT


Fed-up mum-of-four transforms wardrobe into ‘f*** off room’ to get some peace

SPACE SAVER


Mum of three girls who share a room reveals how she’s created their own space

Before this mega-bucks Netflix deal, it was reported the couple were offered a million-pound deal with Spotify to produce exclusive podcasts.

The production company is understood to operate differently from their charitable foundation – Archewell.

Last month, Harry and Meghan officially changed the name of their Sussex Royal brand to the MWX Foundation, it was reported. 

———–
https://ift.tt/3lSInRT

By admin