A SURFER has revealed her horrifying injuries after her hero boyfriend saved her from the jaws of a great white shark.

Speaking from her hospital bed, Chantelle Doyle, 35, opened up about the life-changing wounds left by the predator’s teeth which clamped onto her leg as she surfed off Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia.

Chantelle Doyle with her fearless partner Mark Rapley who fought the shark off by raining punches down on its nose
The great white shark began mauling Chantelle Doyle but her boyfriend heard her screams
Chantelle Doyle has she was rescued by her boyfriend from the sea off Port Macquarie, Australia

Chantelle and her boyfriend Mark Rapley, who saved her by punching the huge shark, relived the terrifying attack in an interview with This Morning.

She said: “The shark grabbed my leg when I was still in the water and it was like a sudden vice clamping around my leg, so it wasn’t really painful, it was just a lot of pressure.

“And then I just grabbed the board and I pulled myself onto it.”

At that point Chantelle let out a chilling scream and her brave boyfriend Mark Rapley, 37, dived into the water to save her from the jaws of the 10ft beast.

She said: “I don’t know how, but I actually pulled the shark a little bit with me because when Mark arrived, when I saw him in the water next to me.

“I was like ‘Oh my gosh, what are you doing? Get out of the water!”

Mark said he was able to pull himself onto Chantelle’s board.

He said: “[The shark’s] nose was out of the water so I could rain punches down on it.”

I can’t move or feel my right leg and they say it’ll take maybe 300 to 400 days for my nerves to regrow and then we will know what will happen to my leg

Shark victim Chantelle Doyle

Chantelle’s knee, calf muscle, tendon, bone, cartilage and nerves were all damaged.

But crucially not her arteries which could have meant she bled to death. 

She explained: “I have my nerves cut in two places and partially severed in two places.

“I can’t move or feel my right leg and they say it’ll take maybe 300 to 400 days for my nerves to regrow and then we will know what will happen to my leg.”

She added because she was an environmental scientist, she understands why sharks were important and that she still loves them. 

Heroic husband Mark Rapley punched the shark in a bid to save Chantelle[/caption]

Paramedics and an air ambulance were called to the scene of the bloody attack[/caption]

The attack happened in the shallow waters off Shelly Beach[/caption]
Nearly one in five shark species are said to be endangered or vulnerable.


Most read in News


Pub owner’s brutal response to customer who complained after ‘spending £700’


TUI Zante flight where EVERY passenger told to isolate was ‘full of covidiots’


Dodging TV licence could be decriminalised next month in wake of Proms row


Police apprentice, 22, checked if killer brother was in jail with undercover cop


Dramatic moment semi-naked man brandishes SWORD in London street


Expert claims FIVE HUNDRED big cats could be roaming UK countryside

Bystanders and paramedics treated Chantelle on the sands before she was taken to nearby Port Macquarie Hospital by air ambulance.

She was later flown to Newcastle Hospital to undergo specialist surgery and remains in a stable condition.

The mother-of-one’s shocked family are reportedly at her bedside.

Surfer Peter Lobb described hearing her chilling screams as she was being attacked while sitting on her surfboard in the shallows of Shelly Beach.

“It was unbelievable, the scream was incredible and there was splashing everywhere,” another witness Jed Toohey told The Daily Telegraph.  

“He (Mark) saved her life…it would have been strong enough to take her out to sea. He was really incredible.”

Bathers on the beach then applied a tourniquet to the victim’s leg to try and stem the bleeding 

“Chantelle kept saying, ‘I’m okay’. She was so calm and relaxed. But then her leg started to get numb,” Mr Lobb revealed.

The attack is the third on the Mid North Coast in recent months, NSW Ambulance said.

Fifteen-year-old Mani Hart-Deville was killed north of Coffs Harbour after being savaged in July

He died after being attacked while surfing at Wilsons Headland at Wooli Beach.


By admin