Disgraced former University of Adelaide Vice-Chancellor Peter Rathjen was paid more than $300,000 when resigning from his post in July, the university has revealed.
ICAC commissioner Bruce Lander last month found Rathjen touched two of his female staff members in a sexual manner and later lied about his “egregious” and “disrespectful” behaviour to both the then Chancellor and the Independent Commissioner Against Corruption.
In an email to staff late yesterday afternoon, the university said the former Vice-Chancellor resigned on July 2 under the terms of his employment contract on grounds of ill-health.
“In accordance with his contact, he was paid $238,600 in lieu of a reduced notice period, and $87,800 in statutory leave entitlements,” the statement said.
“At the time of the former Vice-Chancellor’s resignation, he was on paid leave, pending the outcome of the ICAC investigation, which was being conducted in private and was ongoing. The course and outcome of the investigation was not then known to the University.
“As you know, the University fully cooperated with all aspects of the ICAC inquiry, which began when the former Chancellor, Rear Admiral the Hon. Kevin Scarce AC CSC, reported the matter directly to the Commissioner, after the matter was brought to the attention of a committee of Council in 2020.”
Scarce resigned as Chancellor in May but was cleared by Lander of any wrongdoing
South Australia has made a pitch to host more than one Test cricket match at Adelaide Oval this summer as the state is once again declared coronavirus free.
The oval is scheduled to host the second Test between Australia and India from December 11-15 and is also on standby to host MCG’s Boxing Day test and a one-off Test between Australia and Afghanistan originally planned for Perth Stadium from November 21-25.
But WA Premier Mark McGowan last week confirmed WA would not reopen its borders until states such as Victoria and NSW went 28 days without any confirmed community transmission.
WA’s borders have been closed for five months and the McGowan government, which is up for re-election next March, is refusing to put a date on when it will allow interstate travel to recommence.
SACA and the SA Government have touted the suitability of the new 138-room Adelaide Hotel as a potential hub for quarantining players. It is believed SACA has also made a pitch to host six Sheffield Shield teams in an Adelaide hub for a series of matches from October.
SA Premier Steven Marshall said there was “an excellent working relationship between the Adelaide Oval, SA Health and also Cricket Australia.”
“Adelaide Oval is a fantastic venue for both football and cricket and we would love to see as much cricket action later this year and earlier year as we can possibly handle safely,” he said.
South Australia’s only remaining active coronavirus infection has recovered. The Melbourne woman in her 20s tested positive on Friday when she flew to Adelaide with four young cousins en route to Alice Springs.
The group remains in quarantine at Adelaide’ Pullman Hotel.
The state’s transition committee will meet again today but is not expected to make any major changes to SA border restrictions.
Marshall said while the number of cases in NSW is coming down the headline figure is not critical in terms of lifting the existing quarantine requirements.
He said local health officials were more interested in where those cases have occurred and in what circumstances.
“The top-line number, while interesting, doesn’t really give a picture of the risk for South Australia,” he said.
There were no new coronavirus cases reported in SA on Monday leaving the total since the start of the pandemic at 464.
Crucial votes to elect a new Speaker in the House of Assembly and a new president in the Legislative Council will be held in the South Australian parliament when it resumes from the winter recess today.
The Speaker’s chair has become vacant after Premier Steven Marshall was forced to reshuffle his cabinet in the wake of losing two ministers in the scandal over wrongly claimed parliamentary allowances.
Tim Whetstone and Stephan Knoll, who both represent country electorates, resigned their ministerial roles when it was revealed they had wrongly made claims for staying in Adelaide on parliamentary business.
That prompted Marshall to elevate the previous Speaker, Vincent Tarzia, to a cabinet post.
Former Legislative Council president Terry Stephens also stepped down from his role when he was caught up in the issues over the country members’ accommodation allowance.
The Liberal Party has chosen Josh Teague to fill the Speaker’s role, but he faces a challenge from independent MP Frances Bedford in the vote on Tuesday.
The government has also selected upper house MP Jing Lee to be the new Legislative Council president.
But it’s possible another Liberal, John Dawkins, will also stand for the position.
Easing winds and seas will assist spotters in their hunt for two men aboard a missing yacht when searching resumes in waters between Port Lincoln and Kangaroo Island this morning.
The 30-foot boat named Margrel with identification number RF83S left Coffin Bay with two men aboard about 3pm on Thursday bound for Goolwa, with a stopover planned at Victor Harbor.
A friend of the men notified police on Sunday when she had not heard from the men aged 57 and 48 years since 11pm on Friday night, when they were halfway between Coffin Bay and Kangaroo Island, where they had diverted towards due to engine trouble.
SAPOL’s Water Operations Unit, Australian Search and Rescue (AusSAR) began searching on Sunday and recommenced yesterday with two Challenger Aircraft and a Poseidon from the RAAF.
Anyone who sees the missing boat is urged to call police.
Health authorities are working to stem the impacts of a coronavirus cluster emerging at two Sydney public hospitals, with more than a hundred workers in isolation waiting on test results.
There are four new COVID-19 cases in NSW – a returned overseas traveller and three healthcare workers at Sydney’s Concord Repatriation General Hospital and Liverpool Hospital.
The three healthcare workers were diagnosed during investigations into an emergency department doctor, reported on Saturday, who worked at the two hospitals while infectious.
Another case, a visitor to a hospital emergency department where the doctor worked or sought treatment, will be included in Tuesday’s numbers, taking the cluster to five.
The three newly reported health workers say they had no symptoms while at work, and also wore personal protective equipment while caring for patients.
Authorities suspect at least one of the new cases caught the virus while both parties were wearing masks.
Meanwhile, Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Monday confirmed school formals and graduations would be allowed to go ahead in term 4, Despite a number of outbreaks in schools in recent months.
Malcolm Turnbull has accused the federal government of lacking an aged care coronavirus plan and failing to take responsibility for the troubled sector.
The former Liberal prime minister also chipped his successor Scott Morrison over pointed criticism of the Victorian premier’s reopening roadmap.
“The question I think that could be asked of Scott Morrison is what would you suggest Dan Andrews should do differently right now?” Turnbull told the ABC.
With the political blowtorch being applied to the state Labor government, Turnbull put the heat back on the federal coalition’s coronavirus response.
“Politicians rush to good news and flee from bad news generally,” he said
He stopped short of joining Labor’s calls for Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck to be sacked.
“Everybody in the government should have been very alert to this issue, the health minister, the prime minster – everybody.”
Turnbull said the cruise industry should have been shut down after an outbreak on the Diamond Princess.
Victoria’s “safe and steady” roadmap to recovery will see Melbourne continue under strict curfew and lockdown until the end of September.
Most restrictions on trade will remain until at least late October, while other rules will stay in place until the end of November.
India’s coronavirus cases have surged to 4.2 million – the second-highest total in the world – while Spain has become the first country in western Europe to register 500,000 infections.
The 90,802 cases added in the past 24 hours pushed India’s total beyond 4.2 million, overtaking Brazil, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.
More than 6.2 million people in the United States have been infected.
India’s health ministry on Monday also reported 1016 deaths from COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, taking fatalities to 71,642, the third-highest death toll in the world.
Amid a surge in cases, India continues to reopen, except in high-risk areas, to heal the battered economy which is still reeling from the effects of a prolonged lockdown.
The Delhi Metro transit system that serves India’s sprawling capital New Delhi and adjoining areas resumed operations on Monday after five months.
Masks, social distancing and temperature checks were mandatory.
India has been recording the world’s largest daily coronavirus caseload for almost a month even as the government pushes to open businesses to revive a contracting economy.
Meanwhile, Spain’s total coronavirus infections passed 500,000 on Monday after a second surge in cases that coincided with schools reopening.
Health ministry data showed a total of 525,549 cases, up from 498,989 on Friday, and 2440 infections registered in the last 24 hours.
Recent infections have been more common among younger people who often develop no symptoms thanks to their stronger immune systems, and the death rate remains far below the March-April peak when daily fatalities routinely exceeded 800.
Despite the unwanted milestone, unlike then, Spanish hospitals have enough beds to treat COVID-19 patients.
But French doctors have raised the alarm that nearly all the intensive care beds reserved for COVID-19 patients are in use in and around the city of Marseille.
New daily infections in France have averaged more than 5000 in recent days, raising fears of a second wave of the virus.
Globally, more than 27.19 million people have been reported to be infected by the coronavirus and 888,326 have died.
Young Australian tennis player Alex de Minaur has won his way through to the US Open quarter-finals by defeating Canada’s Vasek Pospisil in straight sets this morning.
The 21-year-old is the first Australian to reach the men’s last eight at Flushing Meadows since John Millman in 2018, the 21st seed now awaits the winner of second-seeded Austrian Dominic Thiem and Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime.
When the US Open started, neither Australia’s highest-ranked men’s player de Minaur nor 30-year-old Pospisil – who grabbed more attention in recent weeks as Novak Djokovic’s sidekick in starting a new players association – would have been tipped as a major winner.
But with Djokovic disqualified on yesterday after striking a line judge in the throat with a ball, Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal not at Flushing Meadows and Andy Murray suffering an early exit, the chances of de Minaur winning the title have grown.
De Minaur fought back in the opening set tie-break to reel off six straight points after being 6-2 down.
From there he never allowed the Canadian into the match, winning 7-6(8-6) 6-3 6-2 to reach his first grand slam quarter-final.
Meanwhile, Djokovic has been fined $US10,000 for unsportsmanlike conduct at the US Open after being defaulted for accidentally hitting a line judge in the throat with a ball.
That amount is half the $US20,000 that a player can be docked for violating the unsportsmanlike conduct clause of the grand slam rule book.
The $US10,000 is in addition to the $US250,000 in prize money the US Tennis Association said the world No.1 would forfeit after being disqualified in the first set of his fourth-round match on Sunday.
The Adelaide Crows will be looking for back-to-back wins when it hosts Greater Western Sydney at Adelaide Oval at 5.10pm this afternoon following the club’s breakthrough 2020 win last week.
But Crows coach Matthew Nicks, who spent 12 months at GWS as an assistant coach before taking the Adelaide top job, is wary of the Giants’ strength.
“It probably makes me a little more nervous, because I know that they can be (potent),” Nicks said ahead of the Adelaide Oval fixture.
The stakes are high for the Giants, who cling to eighth spot by percentage, with games against finals fancies Melbourne and St Kilda to follow.
Nicks said last Tuesday night’s breakthrough win by the Crows – his first as head coach and the club’s first in 16 matches – was a timely boost for his last-placed outfit.
“We feel like we’re playing the brand we want to play,” he said.
“We feel like we’re are competing, so we feel confident going into a game but we also know the challenge we have got.
“You would like to think if we can bring our game that we have been able to the last few weeks that we ‘re going to challenge most sides in the comp.
“It’s then a matter of can you get on top early and put scoreboard pressure on.”
Adelaide has recalled halfback Andrew McPherson, recovered from a hamstring strain, to replace the dropped Myles Poholke.
The Giants made four changes to their team which downed Carlton by nine points last round.
Ruckman Shane Mumford has been rested while Zac Williams (Achilles), Harry Perryman (calf) and Brent Daniels (hamstring) were unavailable.
GWS recalled ex-Crows ruckman Sam Jacobs, Jye Caldwell, Zac Langdon and Sam Reid.
– with AAP and Reuters
Help our journalists uncover the facts
In times like these InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to donate to InDaily.